Glow sticks are fun not only for kids but for adults as well. In fact, concerts, night parties and Halloween events would be dull without the presence of glowing sticks in the air or in our costumes.
Whether you are just trying to make an experiment or you want to save money, you can make your own glow sticks at home. With just a little effort and the right knowledge, you can come up with your very own glow-in-the-dark items.
Not to mention that you can put the goopy solution in any plastic container you choose —- truly a stylish and inexpensive way to personalize and spice up your personal belongings.
If this sounds interesting to you, just continue reading and follow the steps below.
- First things first, you need to make sure that you are working in area that has no obstruction — an area where you can mix dangerous chemicals properly. It is also advised for you to lay down plastic to cover your work surface.
- Prepare all the supplies you need and place them in your work table. It is also safe for you to put a pair of work gloves on so that you will be protected by the hazards of the chemicals you are working on. Choose a thick glove that would still make you firmly grip on things. Needless to say, you need to roll up your sleeves so that you are free to work on your projects.
- Take a graduated cylinder and measure the sodium hydroxide (lye) up to 25ml. Be careful for spills while measuring. If it drips or runs out of the container, wipe it up with paper towels and discard them in a trash can. Once measured, pour this into a clean plastic container.
- After this, measure the hydrogen peroxide in the same device at 5 ml. Pour the hydrogen peroxide into the container as well.
- Measure out 50 grams of sugar and place it in the initial mixture.
- Stir the solution with a plastic or glass stirring rod. Keep on stirring until the solution is thoroughly mixed. You’ll know that it is well-mixed if it has a green glow to it.
- If green does not look great to you, you can always change its color. Just add a drop or two or food coloring of your choice. Stir it thoroughly.
- Pour the solution into a thin plastic container and place the lids on immediately to ensure its safety.
- Place it in the freezer until you are ready to use them.
- Take them out, allow them to warm down. Shake them to get them to glow.